The best way to rank your blog is to make it a masterpiece. Create this blog so good that people talk about it and link to it. Your website may have a blog section and you may be writing a lot of blogs every year, but I am talking about a masterpiece. One that attracts a lot of eyes. One that attracts backlinks. Trust me, it’s not rocket science to create one.
Once you get backlinks, your blog will also start ranking on Google and once it ranks, it may bring a lot of organic traffic to your site. I am saying this from experience. At Inbound Media, we have created so many such blogs that have boosted our client’s organic traffic by 250% in some cases.
Tips to create a masterpiece, a perfect blog that ranks:
- Make sure it’s a long-form article minimum of 2000 words.
- Make it a complete guide that solves a problem single handily or helps someone grow in a field. Ex: Complete Book to PR, Full Guide For Keto Diet, All you need to know about small business tax, Full guide For morning yoga, the complete Book to business books, and so on.
- Put a lot of time to include proper references and relevant resources, examples, case studies, etc.
- Add images, screenshots, videos, and animations when required to explain your point clearly.
- Feel free to link out to external sites if you think it helps the readers.
- It should be a content piece that solves someone’s problem and helps them with a topic.
- From time to time, don’t forget to talk about your own product and services in this masterpiece. Don’t be salesy though. Just show your readers how you added value to your clients/customers’ life via your product or services. Share case studies if you can.
Later you’ll be promoting this masterpiece, so it is not a bad idea to promote a bit of your own brand in it.
- Once it’s done, publish it on your website.
- Allow readers to share this masterpiece blog easily on their own social channels by providing social icons on the top and bottom of this blog.
After it’s published on your site, start promoting it.
Tips to promote your masterpiece:
- Post it on your Facebook business page and boost the post. With just a few dollars spent on boosting a post on Facebook with the right targeting, you can reach out to thousands of users. Make sure you add targeting to reach only your target audience.
- Tweet it and promote your tweet.
- Share it with your personal network via your Facebook profile and LinkedIn Profile.
- If you have maintained an email list of all your current and potential clients, then send this masterpiece to all of them and let them know you are giving it away FREE.
- Go to Quora.com and see if there is someone asking a question that you can answer with this masterpiece. Share a link there. Quora is a popular site with millions of monthly visitors and a great platform to share your masterpiece.
- If many begin sharing and linking to your masterpiece, it can even go viral and It will be free marketing for your business.
Most Importantly – do SEO on your blog to make it search engine friendly. Here, I cover 13 tips on how to write a blog that ranks #1 on Google.
1. Keyword Research for Your Blog
Google Auto Suggest – First and most important thing is to research your keywords. We use myriad techniques to find the best keywords for our clients but if you like to do it yourself, one easy way is auto-suggest in Google. Start typing your keyword in Google and it will try to auto-suggest. These suggestions are top searches on Google and you can take ideas from there.
Google ads keyword planner – Use Google keyword planner tool. Enter your keyword, location and other relevant details and this tool will give you a list of top search terms and their search volume.
Use SEO tools – There are plenty of good SEO tools like SEMrush, SERanking, ahrefs and more. They all come with a keyword research tool where you can search your top keywords. Usually, they are expensive but they come with a free trial. You can make use of a free trial to search your keywords for your blog.
2. Target Long-tail keywords – Many keywords can have high competition and it can be hard to rank for those keywords even with the help of an SEO expert. So, to start with its best to target long-tail keywords. So, instead of targetting “diet tips”, try targetting “diet tips for diabetes patients”.
3. Check Competition – There are plenty of ways we check the competition but there is an easy way if you want to do it yourself. Simply search keywords in Google and see what other websites are ranking. Are they top sites that may be hard to beat? Check their SEO score via Moz bar tool. It’s a chrome extension and can show the score of each site in search results itself. If a low score site ranks for a keyword then it may also be easier for you to rank for that keyword.
4. Check user intent behind a keyword – When users search “Apple benefits” do they mean fruit apple or brand apple? Make sure you are not targeting the wrong intent in which case it will be hard for you to rank
5. Long-Form Content – Google loves long-form content. If you cover a topic, make sure you cover it in-depth with full research. Give references to any research or survey to back your claim/info. It shows Google that you have done your research. Give examples, case studies, and link to tools to help users. All this helps your article rank better.
6. Make Titles click-worthy – As per Search Engine Journal, CTR (click-through rate) is a ranking factor. Out of 10 results in Google, a blog title that can attract more eyeballs to get clicks will get better CTR and better rankings.
7. Do On-Page SEO – Optimise your article for target keywords. Add your top keywords and their variations in your article. Don’t stuff it. keywords should appear naturally in the article. Also, optimise your title and meta description tags. Take your developer’s help to do so.
8. Avg. time spend on the blog – Increase the time users spend on your blog by adding multimedia like images, infographics, videos etc. Avg time spent on a website is a ranking factor.
9. Add a sidebar – This one is my personal favourite but it’s mainly for conversions. When a user is reading your blog, they can also see the sidebar. Add your enquiry forms, social media icons etc to bring the users in your email list.
10. Make it a mobile-friendly blog – Your blog or website should be mobile responsive and should provide a good user experience to mobile users. Mobile usability is also one of the 200 ranking factors Google considers to rank a page.
11. Blog should load fast – Also make sure it loads fast. Take the help of your developer to improve your site speed. Use Google’s own page speed test tool to check your website score.
At Inbound Media, we work on a monthly basis to continuously improve our clients’ websites for all of the above factors.
12. Get Backlinks – Do email outreach and contact other quality bloggers in a similar niche. Request them to link to your blog. Your email can say something like “Hey! I came across your blog about … I created this complete guide to .. and I think it can add great value to your audience if you link to this guide from your article.”
I really hope these tips help your blog, your business website and you can grow online!. Thanks for taking the time to read the blog.
Connect with me on LinkedIn for more latest tips to grow your business online.
At Inbound Media, content strategy and marketing are included in our SEO packages. As part of our content strategy, our experts create SEO friendly blogs for our clients and make use of all of the above-mentioned strategies and more to rank our clients’ blogs high on Google. Using the same strategies, we have increased some of our client’s organic traffic by over 250%.
Talk to our SEO expert today to see how we can help you grow online.